View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 02:39 AM
Bill Gregory

I'd be very leery, guys, of buying unopened cello and wax packs. If you search the forum, there have been countless discussions about fraud involving these.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=162027

It's pretty easy to open and reseal these things. I know there is at least one dealer who is highly regarded for selling unopened product (maybe somebody will chime in and refresh my memory), but it's just too easy to get ripped off.

Edit: I think it's Steve Hart of Baseball Card Exchange, but can somebody else confirm?

If you're going to go in this direction, make sure to educate yourselves. There are things to look for, especially in cello packs, that will help you detect faked packs. Letter sequencing at the bottom of packs. There have been exhaustive discussions about how cards were cut, and filled, as in "this player from 1978 Topps can never appear in this position in a rack pack because ______". Pepis is one member that has demonstrated a high level of knowledge about these things, though from what I have read, he has purposely submitted cello packs to TPGs for grading, knowing they had been resealed. He has also been accused of selling resealed packs to Net 54 members, though he has demurred when confronted with these accusations. His knowledge should not be questioned, but caveat emptor should you consider doing business with him.

Bottom line, just be very careful. Please. I want you guys to enjoy opening packs, but do so with the knowledge there are some underhanded people out there selling product that might not give you the shot at a '78 Eddie Murray, or '80 Rickey Henderson you are hoping for.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 12-14-2013 at 02:48 AM.