View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Default HOFER'S Who Don't Belong

Posted By: Stephen Mitchell

Since the electors have seen fit to add several NON-players to the Hall of Fame this year, if any members were to be eliminated I would suggest Executives and Owners be the first to go. My opening nomination for expulsion would be Judge Landis who singlehandedly helped postpone the integration of baseball.

Seriously, though, no one will be booted. And, in reality, the Hall of Fame cannot be comprised only of Ruth, Cobb Mantle and other elite. (Parenthetically, it should be noted that it took until the late 1940's or early fifties for the Hall of Fame to field enough players to fill two teams - with a player at each position - to play a mythical game!)

And, with nearly 20,000 outstanding, skilled athletes having performed at the major league level, I would propose that the Hall of Fame be expanded to a more reasonable 350-400 PITCHERS AND PLAYERS together with an appropriate number of executives, owners and umpires.

For me, the Hall of Fame represents Superiority among Excellence. Reaching the majors and sticking for a time represents Excellence; if one further distinguishes himself at that heady level, he has demonstrated Superiority and deserves enshrinement at Cooperstown.

Having said this, I believe a case can be made that every pitcher and player in the National Baseball Hall of Fame deserves to be enshrined and that there are a good many others outside looking in who deserve to be included.