Thread: Ever Overpaid?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 08:06 AM
Jay T.

My favorite underpay was an ebay story about a year ago.
Some guy in the same state as me (Alabama) had a zero rating on ebay. He was selling a few lots of cards from the mid-1950s. I bought a lot of about 120 or so 1954s for $100. But that's not the real story. In so doing, I contacted the seller and he told me he was selling most of his father's collection off. Well he had a couple of other lots available. One, was about 370 or so 1957s all in ExMt or better of the 407 in the set. Included were 22 hall of famers all in about the same condition. He had the lot up previously on ebay for $300 but didn't get it (I guess a zero rating matters). Before he could put them back up and not really knowing the condition of the cards or what cards were in it, I made him an offer for $170 and he took it. I figured it was a bunch of dupes and all were G/Vg or something like that. But, it took me from having a set which generally was VG to a set which was ExMt or better and only needing 25 cards to upgrade. On top of that, I was able to build my second set up to only needing nine cards from the previous 200 or so needed.