Thread: REA Pickups
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Mike Navarro

Picked these two up, way outside of my usual hobby realm (autographs) as I don't typically buy cards that aren't signed or that I don't intend to get signed, but I thought they were neat:

1889 Buck Ewing N29 Relatively good eye appeal for it's technical condition grade of PSA 2. Supposedly has paper loss on the back from the bottom of the card up about halfway. Must be in the white area. Presents really nice in scans.

Next up, is a neat item of a Texas Legend, Nolan Ryan. I saw one of these a couple of years ago being offered by the Topps Vault auction at the 2011 National. I don't know if this is the same one that sold there or not, as I'm not sure how common or scarce these are, but decided to snap it up. Here's the description from REA.

Offered is a fascinating and particularly unusual color-process proof sheet from the 1968 Topps set consisting of forty-four cards, including the key rookie card of Nolan Ryan and Hall of Famers Hank Aaron, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, and Carl Yastrzemski. Printed on a thick paper stock (similar to vinyl), the sheet is arranged in four rows of eleven cards with large margins on top and bottom, the latter of which includes black, blue, magenta, and yellow color spectrum lines. Crop marks are also visible in all four margins. All but one of the cards appear as they would in final production when viewed from the front; the Yastrzemski checklist, however, is missing all of the black text which would normally appear in the checklist portion of the card, suggesting that the offered sheet may have been one press run short of a final production version. The back of the sheet is blank. These sheets were used by the printer for the purpose of checking colors, registration, and generally proofing the cards before final production began. Bright and clean, both front and back, with a small, almost imperceptible, tear along the bottom edge and a chip out of the upper right corner, neither of which detracts from the overall presentation. The Nolan Ryan rookie card, which is situated in the lower left corner of the sheet, displays exceptionally well and is an ideal highlight. This sheet would make an outstanding companion piece to any 1968 Topps set or serve as an extraordinary addition to any uncut sheet or Nolan Ryan collection. Dimensions: 21 x 28 inches.