View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Dave

A couple years ago I once got a feedback complaint from a buyer for my poor shipping practices.

Guy won a boxing ticket in an auction. When I shipped I put the ticket in a photo sleeve, put that sleeve in a semi-rigid envelope, placed two pieces of cardboard around the envelope and put that in another larger envelope and shipped 1st Class Package with Delivery Confirmation.

Apparently the Post Office just went totally mental on the package and the ticket somehow ended up with a small crease.

Guy e-mailed be back fishing for a partial refund, I told him I don't do partials..........send the ticket back and I'll give him a full refund. Guy went nuts, told me I was a slip-shod shipper, this ticket (a 1940's Billy Conn fight) was a present for his father, and there's no way he can give the ticket to his dad with this small crease now present, what am I crazy to ship this so carelessly, etc., etc...

"Sorry buddy, ship back and I'll give a full refund", I reply.

After much hand-wringing the guy decides to send it back.........but with a caveat........he was going to ship it back to me, the way he would have shipped it, had he sold it to someone else.

"Great!" I think to myself, "Ok, ship it back", I reply as calmly as I can muster.

I get the ticket back a week later. It's in a Priority Box. Inside the box are two thick blocks of wood and a screwdriver. This nut had hid the ticket between two blocks of wood in a literal custom made screw-down holder.

I couldn't really do anything but laugh, and imagine this guy as a regular Ebay seller. Sitting at his shipping table with a skill saw, drill, box of screws and case of screwdrivers sitting by his side, ready to ship out his next batch of widgets.

Funny thing is, I gave the guy the choice to have the item shipped Boxed Priority Mail.........and he chose the cheaper 1st Class option instead.