View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 07:52 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Sorry: I meant red tassels, yes.

Radically different? I think itÂ’s more of a close call

Trench definitely used a white spine + colored tassels combo throughout the 1950s. You see that look on many different styles of Brooklyn Dodger pennants. But they also used the white spine + white tassel look then, too. (Even yellow spine + yellow tassels.). You are correct: by the early 1960s, at least on Los Angeles Dodgers pennants, they used red tassels + white spine + blue felt. That gave them a colorful look that of course complemented the teamÂ’s colors. I have no idea if they did that for other teams, or if it was a characteristic unique to the Dodgers.

Honestly I don’t think the color of the tassels is that helpful in ID’ing a pennant’s maker. I was more referring to the fact that your Indians pennant DID have tassels. That characteristic alone excludes WGN and ADFLAG from the discussion; and your mystery maker that we’ve all been consumed with identifying (the maker of the sliding runner series and the stiff arm footballer series — none of which featured tassels).

That really leaves Â… Trench, doesnÂ’t it? Tassels - check. Polychromatic artwork - check. Distinctive serif font - check. If the dimensions measure 8 x 26, and/or the itÂ’s made of flannel, thatÂ’s even more evidence itÂ’s likely by Trench.

Unfortunately, until we can extract the DNA from a pennant, weÂ’ll never really know no for sure who created it, right?

As to the four pennants you singled out Â… FWIW, IÂ’m confident the ca. 1950 Whiz Kids pennants is by Trench. IÂ’m on the fence as to the first Brooklyn pennant, which I think may be a phantom from 1951, perhaps? It looks like TrenchÂ’s work but IÂ’ve never seen it in person so IÂ’ll reserve judgment on that one.
Interesting. The 1954 Indians is full-size. Here’s a 1950 Trench Phillies. I don’t see anything in common here. Even the texture of the spine is different. … Can do same with the 1954 Indians … Trench made a few different versions for this season but they all share some common features. The one above just doesn’t seem to fit.

Now I agree not AdFlag or WGN, even though the latter did have tasseled pennants in the 1940s. I personally think this is another unidentified maker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3FA5C6B-FE5D-46C0-B7FE-1E37C6F689C4.jpg (20.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 25CEBE4C-259E-4143-9266-B30AF257BB6E.jpg (22.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 1BAB2D5F-9589-4032-B00C-049A43A85679.jpg (13.7 KB, 101 views)