View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 09:04 AM

Default Got a reply from the seller...

Here's what he said:

"Thanks for the email-I think. I'm not sure what else you can do protect yourself other than buying a PSA graded card. I'll research the item."

Uh, how about educating yourself on what an authentic card looks like, rather than blindly trusting a plastic holder?

I've only been collecting 52s a year, and already I know enough that once glance told me his card was off, and five minutes to spot a half dozen diagnostic flaws:

1) The bat in the team logo is too stylized, with a white center; should be all black

2) The stitching in the baseball on the logo is too fine; should be more blotchy and resemble a string of misshapen pearls

3) The Yankees script is too fine; should be bolder and blotchy

4) The signature is too high; the "Y" in "Mickey" should be practically touching the frame

5)Where the top horizontal and left vertical frame lines join, on the suspect example the top of the left vertical juts out, leaving an extra few pixels on top. Authentic examples should have an extra pixel jutting out to the LEFT.

6) One example I've seen on ebay, on the reverse it was plain the color of the cardboard was off...it practically resembled one of the mid-series white-backs.

And all this from a medium rez ebay scan. And this fellow puts his trust in PSA, and I'm sure his conclusion will be: It's in a holder, and the number is legit, therefore the card is legit. And some poor sucker is gonna get taken for low five figures.

Shameful!