View Single Post
Old 08-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC View Post
Hi,
My family had friends in New Haven CT (we lived right down I-95 in NY) who knew Joe Wood. When they found out I was a Red Sox fan (in "enemy" territory) and was very much into the history of the team they arranged for us to meet him. He was in his 90's but still very much with it and very gracious and nice
to an impressionable baseball fan and young pitcher. I find it amazing that I met and spoke with one of the great hurlers in history. Even the great Walter Johnson said,"...no man alive can throw any harder than Joe Wood."
A couple of years later I also had the pleasure of seeing that same elderly gentleman honored at Fenway Park on Old Timer's Day.
Over the years I've accumulated some nice Smoky Joe pieces including a circa 1912 charcoal and pencil portrait of Wood in his immortal season that is my favorite, but I wish I could have afforded his 1912 World Series pendant or engraved watch.
Paul
Very cool story. My mother was born and raised in New Haven. I believe her friend, Patty, lived in West Haven. Wish I had a do over there.