View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Default Need your help with a EBAY deal gone bad

Posted By: Joann

Half. But only because there is not much money involved so a good will gesture is easily made.

Defective products of every imaginable type are sold every day with neither buyer nor seller aware of the defect at time of sale, and baseball cards are no different. It's not dishonest, it's not misrepresentation in any intentional sense, it just simply happens. I can't offhand think of any venue, product, industry etc in which a full refund is even considered without return of defective item to a seller. Hard to imagine standing at the return counter at Target trying to explain why you should get a full refund on a defective toaster that you don't have with you.

If I buy something and find a subtle defect after purchase, and then I lose it, or somehow completely destroy it, I have no right to any relief from the seller just because the product I lost or detroyed was imperfect.

Harsh, but with the analogy of how the vast majority of product returns are handled, I think it's fair.

So half because it's easy, not too much money, and would be a good thing to do - involves fellow board members, interest of good relations, etc. But if it were $5,600 instead of $56, the good will gesture would not make sense.

Situational decision contrary to general practice this time, I think.

Joann