View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 03:13 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Back in the Day the theory was you should not get an autograph on a card that is worth more than the auto. It has been a little longer than 10 years. I think it started changing after Mantle passed.
That is why so few DiMaggio signed cards and why 51 and 52 Mantles sell for so much. The cards were worth more than the auto's Even at the 500 Home run show very few cards were signed and that was 89 If I remember correctly. And if you had a rookie card signed by all 11 that day you would have done very well much more than the value of a ball or litho.
At least in my view back in the day there was a lot of options for things to get signed like photos, posters, balls, bats, etc. I think more people used cards when going TTM. I know there are a lot of options today as well, but back then I didn’t see to many people in an autograph line with cards. I, for one, wasn’t really interested in getting signed cards and was more in the boat that it ruined the card. Times have changed and my mind has changed as well. Now I like them both signed and unsigned.

By the way Jonathan how’s my favorite Louisville Slugger bat advertising poster doing?