View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 02:05 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballsun View Post
Were the 1962 multi-player rookie cards the 1st year Topps did that ?
I never liked that, thought topps should give a player his own card. If he wasn't good enough for his own card, what was the point of keeping his card ? Were these guys scrubs ?
I think a lot of kids didn't value these cards highly. Maybe they were the 1st cards a kid would choose to put in the bicycle spokes.
In later years, multi player rookie cards were in earlier series, with less players on the cards. I think kid collectors got more used to them and became more accepting.
So I think those Rookie Parade cards are so valuable because they are so scarce, which had a lot to do with kid collectors preferences back in the day.
The 62’s are the first of the multi player rookies that Topps used for a long time. There are many equally obscure guys with solo cards though; it doesn’t seem people threw away the ‘filler’ players as there are tons of them all still around and most sell for the cheapest prices. The RP’s aren’t scarce, is the thing. Maybe if you’re looking for a PSA 9, but they are widely and easily available all the time, in quantity similar to the other cards in its series.