View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 10:50 AM

[QUOTE=docpatlv;1775792]Yes, I forgot to add that mine seems to be made from a different type of metal, not sure what though.

and from Howard: I too have at least 1 of them. My memory wanes a bit, but I believe I may have seen them made of 2 different metals - 1 silver and 1 not (aluminum maybe?) - I'll keep an eye out next time I dig......
-------------

So there is also this additional ad that was found, confirming what the other newspaper ad indicated, but in a little more journalistic detail, and easier to read since the res is larger, intimating the future production of a "gold" coin:

coin ad.jpg

As to the points about the difference in appearance, I see what you mean. Perhaps the newspaper ad used a draft prototype of what was envisioned but not actually minted (but then the ad states that at that point the print run was already 600, so why couldn't/wouldn't they have had the real thing to photo?); so maybe the more probable explanation is that there was an early run, but if it was popular and profitable they minted more later and the later ones had these different design characteristics? In that case we should all be on the lookout for a version of the coin that actually exists representing that newspaper ad more closely...

Last edited by Empty77; 05-12-2018 at 10:57 AM. Reason: quote/response displayed confusingly