View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 04:49 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

I have been using them lately for the duplicate T51s and 1952 Topps that I had PSA graded. People are looking at them and buying from them. What is surprising to me is that they only allow you to use "variations" in some item classifications, but not others. I wish the guys in the Tobacco Card section of eBay were allowed to use variations for individual cards in a set. Openbinders (sponsor on the nonsports side) would probably be able to have it much easier when he lists thousands of cards on eBay in a day and I have to wade through them all over again.
I wish eBay would let every category use variations. One of the other things it allows you to do is get more words into the title field for generic (non "Advanced") searches. eBay is now charging crazy prices to get another 50 words in the title, whereas in a variation listing, you can use your first 80 (or whatever) character count explaining the set, and the variations to get specific on individual cards.
Here's an example of mine:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19246314713...84.m1555.l2649
Out of the five cards in the main photo, I have already sold three. I also try to crop all the pictures in the variations so you see exactly the card you're getting when you select it in the dropdown, and it's oriented properly. I'm not sure what this does when PSA or VCP try to scrape the data for their auction prices realized. PSA tries to read the certification number using Optimal Character Recognition (OCR), but I'm not sure if they just use the top picture or dig into the individual photos.
I have sold $10 cards and $100 cards this way. I'm sure if you list your item and people find it in the keyword search and it's what they want, they won't ignore it because it's part of a variation listing.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.