View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Alan Elefson

That stinks regarding the fakes of the Mantle and Yaz. I found my Mantle in a sealed deck for 10.00 several years ago. I am more surprised by the faking of the Mantle than the Yaz, as the Mantle is relatively common. I used to think the Drysdale was rarer than the Mantle, but I am not sure. My personal review of about 200 sets showed far more Mantles than Drysdales but Harrelson is the easiest Ace of Spades by far.

Randy-
I actually sold my checkerbacked and master set several years ago. The dealer I sold it to never sold the binder, and I recently made contact with him to rebuy the collection (at the same price I sold it for!). I should have it back in a few weeks and I will definitely post scans of the entries master set (except for Yaz who I never found). I cannot remember on the Cardinals cards how many had airbrushed logos but if there is a clear logo on a card, that card will definitely have an airbrushed version.

I am shocked that so few of the red checker backed ones are around. I bet some folks are sitting on sealed sets with the red checker back, but I have examined more than 200 sets and only one had the red checker back. I cannot imagine it is actually as rare as it appears, just no one really cares about this set.

Alan