View Single Post
Old 03-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Default PSA is an embarrassment to pre-war grading!

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

It is possible that once "1932" was typed, the other info kind of automatically followed. Still, seems to me that, since neither the 1932 US Caramels or the 1922 American Caramels has a copyright or other date on the back, the grader would have to refer to a resource in order to even know what year to type in the first place, and having looked at that resource, could easily see that the two sets are not remotely similar. In fact, to conduct a search for an unknown year, presumably the grader would type in the manufacturer (american caramel) and would have seen that no cards were issued by that manufacturer in 1932. If he searched by player, then he was a pinhead to select the 1932 set, when that set is numbered and the card he is looking at is not.

By contrast, if the typist knew from first-hand knowledge that the card was a 1922 e120 and simply mistyped 1932, then he was incredibly sloppy in not noticing the error. Also, I have to agree with the other posters that PSA has other examples where the set was right but the year wrong. Finally, as noted, if more than one person is looking at this card, it would never have gone out the door, or, if it did, the incompetence would be even that much more pronounced.

Any way you cut, there is questionable quality control at best at PSA, and I grow tired of this repeated mantra about mechanical errors as a natural result of grading so many millions of cards.