View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 09:21 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
I know I'm a little late to the thread (been busy with work recently), but I really enjoyed seeing all these programs. I remember there was a program (Jeff, not sure if that is where you got yours) in the first MSB auction from the Florida leg of the Grange tour. That auction also had the 32 championship program from the Bears/Spartans game. I checked with the MSB guys and they said it wasn't the one on Pawn Stars (History Channel). I think there are only about 4 of these known and they all might have smoke damage from a fire in the Bears offices. I do recall seeing a nice one come up at Heritage within the last year.

The Tuffy Leeman's Day program was nagging at me last night and I finally realized why - the Winter 2015 issue of Gridiron Greats has an article by Mar-tin Jay.cobs titled "NFL's Forgotten Games of 12-07-41". Its not clear why, but even though it was the final Sunday of the regular season, there were only three games scheduled - Bears/Cardinals, Giants/Dodgers, and Eagles/Redskins.
Teams in the NFL back then didn't necessarily start or finish on the same weekends. My bet is this had to do with the availability of the stadiums they often shared with baseball. All of the other teams that year had already completed their schedules.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 01-21-2016 at 09:23 AM.