View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Look here, prick, if you want to have a discussion, we can do so. But if you want to call my integrity into question, that takes it to another level.

Actually, I can give you many examples where representing something as an item that is one thing with the intention to deceive for financial gain is not fraud or illegal. Unethical - yes. Illegal - no. Do you want to listen or do you just want to be a prick?

Edited to add: I don't know why I keep having to reiterate this, but I'll do it once again. What Larry did was totally wrong, unethical, unscrupulous, deceitful, dishonest (fill in the adjective here). My original response was in question to whether or not he would be charged or prosecuted and I simply questioned the legality of it. I don't know why I have to keep clarifying my comments.
One example would suffice, because in my decades of practicing law, knowingly misrepresenting an item for sale with intent to deceive is as pure an example of FRAUD as there is. Now of course there are exceptions and defenses: if I know you're lying, I can't rely on your misrepresentation, for example. But Larry misrepresented his franken-cards as originating from Topps, knowing he was lying, and intending to deceive people into paying more than if he had said for sale is a franken-card I put together myself. It's an open and shut case as far as I can see.

And to respond to your red herring, it probably wasn't illegal to assemble the cards. But so what. Selling them in interstate commerce via a misrepresentation was illegal.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-11-2017 at 04:16 PM.