View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Curt

Lots of good points here, especially any large collection will have many pieces that everyone else has or doesn't want. The really unique and tough items in a large collection are what would drive the end price probably more than anything else. I could not even imagine what my collection is "worth" in Beckett value. It seems reasonable that an "average to above average" extensive collection could easily top $1 Million in BV. That is only 100,000 $10 cards after all!

I can't say that I have ever seen a really nice and extensive collection of anything sold in one lump sum, at least not on eBay. Lots of "collections" with a few eye catchers and pounds of junk.

Years back, before it was common to have free listings, I decided that I would try to sell it all when there was a free listing day. However, I was not prepared at all and when I created the listing, I tossed out a huge number to protect myself and then set out to backfill the photos and details. I never got around to actually adding anymore details though and wasted my listing. I had no grand illusions that anyone would buy my collection in an eBay auction in one shot, but it would be fun to see how high a great collection might go in an open auction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunderby View Post
Value on a normal collection of players, teams, etc is really tough. If you believe Beckett my collection is worth $125k but that's using their inflated values as single cards (I collect a team).

My collection is in no way liquid- it is extensive but anyone who would want to have it would either already have most of it, or want to collect it themselves. After all, that's part of the fun.

To answer your question, I value my collection on what is liquid. My vintage cards and higher value rookie cards are the main things that come to mind. Stuff like my 1989 Score team set isn't even part of the equation because it isn't at all liquid. Same thing for some of my more scarce things like my 2003 Kanebo Silver parallels.