View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
LOL, I thought you meant the Upper Deck... Sometimes I totally miss things.
I see Fleer glossy as more of its own set, but it's interesting Beckett thinks of it as a parallel. How do they list the Nestles, and desert storm, and for that matter the tiffany and score glossy sets? They were all issued on their own in different forms.

Maybe, I saw the question as more along the lines of what was a big deal n a year and affected the hobby at the time and after.
All the other sports lagged behind Baseball until... I don't actually recall when. I know I bought older cards from other sports for very little right into the late 80's. The Marino and Elway were key cards, but hadn't taken off yet. Same for the Gretzky rookie. I got mine in lot that came in a monster box that just happened to have the whole set from that year. I think $50 for the whole box.

Now if I could recall just when everyone suddenly got interested in cards from the other sports, that would have to be a big hobby event.
Before 1992 I think parallel was more of a loose term. They had a bunch of Tiffany/glossy sets done before this one ( 1989 Fleer glossy). The thing is it has a Griffey rookie that is diffeicult to find in high grade because of factory issues. We can also add the 1989 Bowman Tiffany to 1989 cards that make a splash now. They made less Bowman Tiffany but there have been more high grades in the Bowman Tiffany then Fleer glossy. I was just adding to the fact that 1989 was a game changer. Without these other griffey rookies all we would have is a bunch of mass produced Griffey’s( like the upper decks never ending printing)

I also think that almost ever year from 1980 till now has some significance to the modern collector. So I was just cherry picking some big moments that popped in to my mind.