View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 08:47 AM
John

A couple of final things I wanted to share:

-Just looking at the bolded players from the 1935 National Chicle set…. 21 from one issue from a single year out of the 78 players I chose for the entire decade is pretty darn good. Granted they didn’t project any stars (Stan Kostka was a can’t miss prospect who missed), but with only 35 active NFL players in the set, I’m impressed more than half stood the test of time.

Looking back at rounds 1-7, I would say they missed having a card on: Mel Hein, Bill Hewitt, Arnie Herber, Johnny Blood, Mike Michalske, George Musso, Link Lyman, George Christensen (included as a premium), Ox Emerson, Ace Gutowsky (included as a premium), Walt Kiesling, Red Grange (included as a premium), Red Badgro, Father Lumpkin, Joe Kopcha, Charley Malone, Ookie Miller, Ray Flaherty, Joe Carter, and Swede Hanson.

Among those 20, 3 had premiums and who knows how many may have been included in the 3rd release of cards had there ever been one….

-Finally, in terms of research, I found a great PFRA article on blocking backs. It was an unsung position for sure - Father Lumpkin was in there, but I’d never heard of Hank Bruder, Riley Smith, or Leland Shaffer. And I always enjoy an article about unsung players and in this case, an entire unsung position.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 09-16-2015 at 08:55 PM.