View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 05:48 PM
Arthur R!ch

Default 1936 Indiana Sport-Avion Packers vs. Cardinals -- Help IDing players?

First, I have to thank Jeff Payne for turning me on to gridiron-uniforms.com. That was an enormous help.

I've owned this card for probably close to a decade. I never seriously thought I would be able to identify anyone in it and, to be honest, it didn't look like anything that was worth identifying. This is a French multi-sport set from 1936, the Indiana is not in reference to the State of Indiana, just the name of the set. As best as I can tell, the set focuses exclusively on sporting events from 1935. It's boxing heavy, with many bouts depicted. Of course, being a French set, it also covers the '35 Tour de France quite generously, as well. There's even a Major League Baseball card for the transcendent Darrell "Cy" Blanton, who won the ERA title in '35. But this card just got lumped with the apathetic "American Rugby."

For whatever reason, a fire got lit under me a few days ago and I thought I'd give it a run at trying to nail down the teams, thinking it might be a college game. Jeff was a hero and directed me toward the website and I looked at 1935, thinking this card, like all the others in the set, would be depicting a '35 event. Looking at the uniforms and especially the helmets, it became clear that the two possibilities were the Packers and the Cardinals.

As it turns out they played each other three times that season. In week 1, the uniforms match up perfectly and it was the only game of the three that was played at City Stadium, which had the white one-beam fence all around the playing field like in the background of the card.

Now the question was, would it be possible to identify any of the players?

The easiest, of course, was #18 on the Cardinals. That's Bernie Hughes, who was an All-Pro corner the year before in his rookie campaign. But what about the Packers?

As best as I can tell, and I'm hoping that those of you that know more about this than me (which, if you're reading this, means you) can chime in, the lead blocker is Ernie Smith and the ball carrier is Johnny Blood. I don't care about being correct as much as I care about getting it right so if you've got a better idea please post below. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx