View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

As a Cardinal fan in the 1980's, I never connected with Straws. The Cards and Mets had a great rivalry at the time. We loved to hate the pond scum Mets.

Of all crazy things, Darryl now lives in St. Louis! He cleaned up his life and found a church here that he loves. So, he packed up and moved here to be closer to his church.

I saw him last month at a sports trivia contest where he was a special guest. He gave a nice talk about the rivalry of the '80's and even made reference to being "one of the pond scum." He had some fun on stage joking around with The Batting Stance Guy. He talked about how he absolutely hated to bat against John Tudor, but loved to bat against Bob Forsch. His favorite Cardinal? Whitey Herzog.

The most encouraging part was that he attended the pre-party (booze provided) and was very approachable. He mingled comfortably with fans. His eyes and speach were clear and his walk was steady. In my opinion, this was a man that is happy to be alive. He has turned his life around and that is a real blessing.

Last edited by Jerry G; 03-18-2010 at 11:17 PM.