View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 11:19 AM
Dave

I knew Ohtani was going to win ROY as soon as the talking heads started talking about combining his pitching and hitting WAR.

I mean Andujar had more doubles then Ohtani had total extra base hits.

Lack of walks was the biggest thing that hurt Andujar on his overall hitting metrics compared to Ohtani.

Andujar got absolutely throttled by his defensive WAR unfortunately. Who knew how much things had changed. Back in 1978 Butch Hobson committed 43 errors and held an .899 FP and he got docked -1.00 on his defensive WAR.

Andujar commits 15 errors with a .948 FP and he gets docked -2.2.

Ohtani got docked 0 WAR points for playing absolutely no defense. I guess no defense is better then below average defense.

I question how valuable a two way star is, when you have to find somebody to replace him in the lineup 60 games a year due to injuries, limitations on his schedule, lack of an actual position, and an inevitable Tommy John surgery.

He's a hell of a talent, but having to constantly construct your team baseball strategy around his availability seems pretty silly to me.

Ultimately however, ROY really doesn't mean a whole lot. It's just a title. Hell, Walt Weiss won the award once upon a time, simply on his defense. Barring injuries, Gleyber Torres likely becomes the most valuable player of the 3 guys in the AL running this year.