View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I've been collecting hockey cards nearly my whole life.
The Malone RC is the other big one, but the sad part is a majority of hockey fans don't even know who he was! It's an undervalued card, IMO.
OMG I laughed when I read this. I have several friends who are "big hockey fans" out here in Western Canada. Several I play with in a semi-competitive league. They follow the Flames, Oilers, Canucks, whoever. Some have season tickets to the Flames here (like myself).

Now I laughed with your Joe Malone reference. About a week ago I mentioned grabbing a Joe Malone card to one friend in particular (who kinda knows everything). He said "I never heard of him". Another guy I play with, I mentioned in the dressing room that I picked up an Art Ross card. He also said "Who is that?". I said "There's a trophy named after him", where the rest of the guys chuckled.

Finally I went up to Edmonton to last year for a card show. The night I got there, I had beers with a buddy who has Oilers seasons tickets. He is 38 years old, and "loves hockey". I told him I was "gonna snag a Bernie Parent autograph tomorrow." He said "Who's that?"

I find it just sad that people who are "hard core fans" have never done any reading of hockey (or baseball, football) history, and have no idea who some of the greats are.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 09-15-2017 at 01:43 PM.