View Single Post
Old 05-26-2002, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Default Next Pre-1900 Member of the HOF

Posted By: Robbie Culpepper

Kremer pitched for the Pirates (1924-33), winning 62.7% of his decisions & leading the league in ERA in 1926 & 27- if he is to be considered, Sam Leever should be considered first. While only 22-23 in the 19th Century, he won 66 % of his decisions, many as second banana to Victor Willis- a recently elected HOFer (and a big surprise to me). Of course, by then, you find yourself in the continual question of do good players make for great teams or do good teams make great players and how do you judge each's value (maybe win-shares). I think for most 20th Century players not currently in, you have to feel you've got that hurdle to clear. The 19th Century players, and American Assoication players in particular, do not get a 'fair shake'- thank goodness for this type of forum- to exchange opinions and vent frustations at the lack of appreciation of history that make up today's world. For 19th Century players, my emotional choice would be Dummy Hoy, but Bob Caruthers, Bobby Mathews, Tony Mullane, and Pete Browning would head my choices of those most deserving. I think the following should also be mentioned: Paul Hines, Joe Start, Mike Tiernan, & Lipman Pike.