View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Default Congratulations to Red Sox Empire

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Aside from Wakefield, Varitek, and Francona, I find very little about these Red Sox that is likeable. Between the Sox and the Patriots, I'm wondering what happened to class in New England sports.

And I think ARod is the best player in baseball, and that his contract is so big that it has clouded a lot of people's vision as to how good he actually is, and how much he means to a team.

That said, Boras' move last night was a bush league move (announcing this during the World Series). It will hurt the Yankees that he's leaving, but that's not going to hurt them anywhere near as much as the departure of Joe Torre, the imminent signing of Joe Girardi, and the likely subsequent loss of Jorge Posada. It's tough to replace 150 RBI and 140 runs scored, but the Yankees should have learned by now that 1000 runs scored during the season translates into absolutely NOTHING in the postseason. It's all about pitching. And if the Yankees can take some of the cash that they've been investing in ARod and put it toward some strong pitching and a decent catcher, they would be OK.

The problem is that they won't. They'll take ARod's money and give it to Barry Bonds, or some other such ratings-grabbing power hitter, just as they have done every time a high-profile free agent comes along at a time when the media lights that shine on the Yankees start to dim.

-Al