View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Anthony

Jimmy,

I like some of your thoughts about why we collect memorabilia. Collecting cards is what got me hooked as a kid. I had a paper route and all my money would go into cards ($14 a week). When Beckett’s price guide came every month I looked, as my favorite cards would have a small triangle pointing up or down and/or no triangle at all signify no change in price.

At the card shows, pretty much the dealers demanded a certain price b/c they would refer to the price guide and prices were relatively the same from table to table. However, the memorabilia pieces seemed to demand prices from the “wild wild west” and dealers didn’t exactly have a book to refer to. I found this niche of the industry to be much more fun and exciting.

I feel memorabilia brings me closer to the game, the ballpark, the player, the team, etc. more so than a card. When the catalogs come out, basically, the cards I have seen, cool they are, but, it is always the memorabilia that gets me saying, “Wow, what an incredible piece, I have to add that to my collection.” Someday, I hope to have a collection that is impressive as a lot of the board members. I’m just a small time collector but you got to start somewhere.

Regards,
Anthony

Last edited by 3and2; 04-04-2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: add more info