View Single Post
Old 06-05-2020, 01:18 PM
Matt

Default opened up a case

So, I bought a case of Opening Day about 5 years ago for $100 from an old collector, hoping that when I opened it up someday it might have the 'Bonds' error.....I always dreamed of pulling out one in every one of the 15 unopened packages. At least that's how collectors usually think.

Well, it came to a point about 3 weeks ago that I just couldn't take the 'unknown' any longer and on a Friday night, I cracked open an extra beer and opened about 6 of them. I had cards stacked all over our kitchen. I carefully opened the pack with Bonds on the back each time. Friday night was a bust.... nothing. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about the other 8 or 9 remaining boxes and finally got up around 6 on Saturday (when I normally try to sleep into 8) and busted open the rest.....and still none. Now I know the truth and at least I've created some extra shelf space in my closet.

A couple observations.... Even though I carefully opened up the wrapper on each 'Bonds' pack, every single Bonds card had at least one bent corner.....right from the factory. None would even get a '9' grade. I did end up with about 6-7 pretty nice Bo Jackson's with good centering and there's a ton of other nice HOF'ers. All the Barry Larkin's were off center or had a weird print mark. After opening the first couple boxes, I ended up just focusing on 3 of the 5 wrapped packs the rest of the way to look for the Bonds, Jackson and Larkin cards, so I still have 'bricks' of unopened cards.

Kind of fun, but I was hoping for so much more!