View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Box Seats, Line Drives and Darkness

True Story

Where: Dodger Stadium in box seats closer to the hot dogs for sale than the hot dogs on the field.

Net Zero: Seats between third base and home but just beyond the home plate netting. The seats were far enough back to be covered by the deck above, which was actually pretty close in height, causing this area to be darker than the seats up by the field.

Then it happened, a foul tip line drive from light into relative darkness coming straight at me. There are situations where you don't stand a chance. I honestly knew it was coming but didn't see a thing.

The guy two seats to my right ducked. The lady two rows behind him didn't. The ball hit her hard right in the mouth. Attendants came quickly as she was spitting up blood and teeth. She needed attention, but resisted initially leaving her seat (and her teeth). A true blue Dodger fan indeed.

The likelihood of a lethal foul hitting that particular seat with the overhanging deck above is probably 1 in 50,000,000. Would an extension of the netting up the foul lines a bit prevented this? Yes, but the netting might be 500 years old before this were to happen again.

I agree that the fans have to share in the responsibility for what happens and no venue is going to be completely safe. Going to a game with 40,000 cell phones bugs the hell out of me, but a cell phone was not in play here.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.