View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Moving along to the action, today I did something I rarely do. I just sorta wandered through the aisles, hoping that the cards that wanted me to own them today would somehow draw me near. And sure enough, they did!

I'm sometimes a set collector, so when I saw this on top of a stack at a good price I just knew my 57 set was going to make another leap forward. Of course, foreshadowing things to come, it was literally the only card I needed in a stack of 8s and 9s that was probably 50 cards total. But still, you take them when you can get them.
[]

I'm also a set collector of the 2012 Topps Chrome football refractor sets. I had put them together in raw form, but had decided in the last few months to go ahead and upgrade my Lucks and Wilsons to BGS 9.5s. So this one was a great add for me at a great price. Got it form a guy who only does baseball, but it took it in on a trade yesterday and it was the only non-baseball card in his case. He was excited to sell it, and I was excited to own it. WIN WIN!
[]

My wandering then led me to this. Certainly one of the more interesting items I've seen at the show, and I feel like maybe this is one of those odd collections that just about anyone could start - signed coasters? That's a Wilt Chamberlain in case you don't know, and someone actually paid PSA to slab the thing. To each their own, and no I did not purchase this - in fact I forgot to ask the price, I should do that tomorrow.
[]

This might be one of the coolest booths at the show, not sure my picture does it justice at all. The Card Bar is pretty cool, I'm sure the man-cavers can latch onto some version of this in the future.
[]

Dumbest thing I heard today...
Me - What are you asking for the PSA 4?
Dealer - These are only available as a pair.
Me - Fine, how much for the pair?
Dealer - $16,000
Me - Ok, but I really only want the PSA 4.
Dealer - I need to keep it so people can see the comparison to the other one.
Me - I'm not sure they need to see both to understand, but good luck to you.

[]

Yes, I'm willing to concede I'm probably a jerk, as long as everyone else is willing to concede that neither one of those cards are actually for sale.

Moving on to big guns, just know that there's always a bigger gun out there. I finally found them today.
[]

This next one I think qualifies as a big gun? However, since we've been talking refractors earlier I think this one needs to be re-slabbed as a "Sepia Tone" variation. I'd much rather have the real one, but I know people like the weird T206 stuff and this one definitely qualifies on several levels.
[]

Some incredible baseballs, a couple of these may just make my pursuit list for the 2019 National. That second Ruth is really a stunning ball.
[]
[]

Last edited by bounce; 08-03-2018 at 10:41 PM.