View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 08:29 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
It is fun when it still happens. Not pre-war, but my brother, who's in his 40's, recently bought some lots of the "less than big name" players he was a fan of as a kid off eBay. 140+ card lots of Julio Franco cards with lots of oddballs, for example. I think it cost him less than $10 delivered, which is pretty good for a bit of fun considering you can't buy a fast food lunch for that anymore.

I wrote an article a while back on the different types of collectors.
Mike, that was an enjoyable read. You nailed a bunch of types. I think you missed a bunch, though, too.

How about the guy that goes back to collect all the cards from when he was a kid, to maybe relive his joy when he first discovered baseball.

What about the collectors who like cards from the turn of the 20th century and before, in order to appreciate what baseball, and our country, was like back then.

Or those who find obscure and under-appreciated corners of the hobby and focus on them, in order to make them better known for the rest of us.

There are collectors who focus on their favorite player, or their favorite team. Some goofy guys even focus on error cards.

There's a lot of us out there, and the great thing about it is there is a card for every collector.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk