View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Packs, nice Mack, not the easiest HOFer.

Webster, what an interesting subset. That is the first time I've seen someone piece a "standing bat" subset together, outstanding! All those poses originate from 1887 photoshoots at Gray Studio in Boston. In each case the bat is likely the same Burlingame bat that I had previously studied on several of the original glass plate negatives from Gray Studio. How long did it take you to obtain all five?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Joe - those Tomlinson cabs are fantastic!!! What year would you place on each? Are they from 1886 (like Thompson's "outdoor" pose by the same studio)?
Derek, they do date to 1886, all the Tomlinson's with personalized mounts (mounts that list the players name & position) date to 1886. Blank backed generic mounts also date to 1886. Tomlinson would add advertising to the mount back in 1887. I always hoped the portraits of Baldwin & Thompson would surface. Baldwin and Thompson, together with Charlie Bennett hold a special place in Detroit baseball history. Bennett would catch the ceremonial first pitch of the first home game from 1896 to 1927, frequently with his close personal friends Lady Baldwin and Sam Thompson at his side. Bennett was catching for Detroit well before Ty Cobb was born and would then would be part of the home opener ceremonies for all 22 years Cobb played for Detroit (I love the early Detroit history). I've been fortunate enough to accumulate all three in both portrait and action pose (Baldwin, Thompson, and Bennett).

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers