View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Great Feller story!

I have two stories one that I did meet and the one I was too younbg and stupid not to meet.

First a friend of mine invited me to a game in New York when I was a kid with his family. The best seats I ever had. 2nd row behind the visitors dugout. Turns out my friends dad was a friend of Tommy Lasorta (Dodgers werein town vs. the Mets). Thgey exchanged hellos accross the dugout before the game. I was stunned. After the game we went to eat and happened to sit next to the table where HOFer Ralph Kiner was sitting. He was a Met announcer at the time so I knew who he was but sisn't really know anything about his HOF carrer. After much prompting and nerves I wen up and asked for his autograph. He was gracious and polite and signes my scorecard I still had in hand.

The other story of stupidity came when I was in college and just getting into buying cards. I went to a smallish show to see what was new. There was a guest star signing that day. I watched him from a distance and was impressed that he took the time to talk to everyone wanting a autograph about baseball, his career, history or anything else. I only had a bit of money left but decided to take my chance on a few more packs rather than take the chance to meet and talk to the great Warren Spahn. I don't know what packs I bought that day but I wish I had a bit more foresight. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!