View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Default E-bay has become a T206 market

Posted By: Seth B.

I'm sure this speaks first to the fact that T206s are the most plentiful and popular of all prewar issues, but especially this past year, has anyone else noticed that e-bay has become primarily a T206 market with the occasional interesting series showing up?
Here's what I mean. At the time of posting, there are 5289 items on e-bay's pre 1930 bb card section. 2043 of those items come up in a search for T206 and T-206, that's a whopping 39% of the category taken up by a single type of card! 50% of the category is T205 or T206 and that's not even counting the misidentified "Old Basebawl Card" or the trash cutouts, miscategorized cards, and reprints that make up a major portion of the section that collectors could care less about. For contrast, there are around 250 (or, a piddling 5%) auctions for pre 1920 caramel cards and Old Judges COMBINED!
Anyone have anything to say for this? Was it always like this (I don't seem to remember that being the case)? I think for those of us collecting things other than the famous tobacco sets, auction houses other than e-bay may now be the way to go.