View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 01:27 PM
Mi.ke Fost.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
If you are sincere and not fishing then my recommendation is to educate yourself to gain confidence in your opinion first, and then rely on this site to confirm your opinion, not the other way around. Get resources such as Ron K's book ( use it as a reference but not an end all be all decision maker ), go to PSA autograph facts web page, check out Hauls of Shame web site, and get in with Richard Simon and Jim Stinson as dealers on this stuff, and trust a few AHs, and learn not to rely on TPAs or COAs.
If you not an experienced collector buying a Ruth or Gehrig item, let alone a ball, it can cost you several thousands of dollars in mistakes.....somewhat like being signed to a MLB contract at 17 yo and going straight to the majors and facing MLB pitching ...you will get burned.
Remember any purchase you make good or bad is still yours no matter what this site or others say.
Thanks. I did do some research before coming here. In fact, that's what led me here. I've done some of the things already that you've listed - reviewed the PSA website, read lots of stuff on Hauls of Same (although it's hard to tell if Nash is being completely objective - he's not the most upstanding citizen either), I trust Hunt Auctions, Lelands and Heritage, although I haven't purchased anything from Heritage yet, although I admittedly rely on TPA/COAs from PSA more than I should. That said, I don't trust JSA certs as much, I don't have any concrete reason why, other than it seems he certifies everything. Could just be my perspective. Perhaps I have it all backwards - I should trust JSA more than PSA. No doubt I need to do more research, especially after this thread. I'm glad I trusted my instincts that the Ruth ball was fake and came here to confirm my suspicions.