View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 07:48 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneen View Post
Not trying to make you feel worse than you already do about it...I only post this to say that as a new bidder who has never participated in an auction with this specific rule, I don't think they could have done much more to make sure I was aware of their unusual initial bid deadline.
Obviously, I know all this now, but it doesn't really answer my actual question. As I said, I am not a whale in this hobby, so my opinion is worth almost as much as you paid for it. But, I have been back in the hobby for about 10 years now and have participated in at least a few auctions every year. This is the first time I have ever seen this type of closing rule. So, yes, I was probably a bit more lackadaisical than I should have been when I read the rules. As it was, the lot closed right where my max bid was, so it is highly likely I wouldn't have won anyways.

My question though, when you cut through my pique, was what the rationale for this type of rule is? As an example, another thing I found noteworthy about Clean Sweep was that they don't accept electronic payments for auctions even though they do on the things they are selling outright on the site. For auctions, they require either check or money order. I get this as the possibility of fraud is higher with Paypal and credit cards and the size of their risk is greater with auctions vs straight purchases. But, I am struggling to wrap the overripe melon I call a head around the reason for having three auction closes: a soft close, a hard close that starts extended bidding, and then a final close after some period of inactivity.