View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
What do you guys think are the 10 best albums of all time. My list every album was released before I was born in 1972

1. Revolver- The Beatles
2. Astral Weeks- Van Morrison
3. Sgt. Peppers- The Beatles
4. Everyboby Knows This Is Nowhere- Neil young
5. Blonde On Blonde-Bob Dylan
6. White Light/ White Heat- The Velvet Underground
7. American Beauty- Grateful Dead
8. All Things Must Pass- George Harrison
9. Stand!- Sly and the Family Stone
10. Who's Next- The Who
Honorable mention to: Trout Mask Replica- Captain Beefheart, Stooges-Stooges, Psychedelic Sounds Of The-13th Floor Elevators, Plastic Ono Band- John Lennon, Axis Bold As Love- Jimi Hendrix Experience
Reading Bill's comment, this is very interesting - the OP asked for us to list the '10 best', not our '10 favorite', yet he clearly listed some albums that no one could possibly consider to be among the '10 best' ever, so I think he really meant '10 favorite'. Not that they aren't great albums - I love most of them, but this just shows how subjective of a question this is.

Also, I posted my list without reading anyone else's, so as not to be influenced. Now I'm seeing other albums that would have to be in my list;e.g-'American Beauty', so it makes me realize that I can't even limit myself to 10 favorites - probably need at least 50.

Maybe 50 isn't even enough - over the years I have culled down my vinyl collection to about 250 albums, every now and then adding another. It's as small as it could possibly get . I have almost all of Elvis Costello, Marshall Crenshaw and Roy Buchanan - can't imagine letting go of any of them, but none are 'top 10' material.

Great thread - thanks for the memories!