View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Default evolution of your collection

Posted By: Addie_Joss

I'm 22 years old now and have been collecting on and off since I was 10 years old. When I first started out I wanted anything old and any card as long as they're a HOFer. The first card I ever bought was a 1966 Topps Fergie Jenkins Rookie from a show at my local mall. I still remember it vividly. The HOFer rush lasted a while and now I have a ton of useless and unwanted cards like my 1969 Topps Ernie Banks or my 1950 Bowman Rizzuto or my 1954 Bowman Robin Roberts.

From there I decided, about when I was 13 or 14, that I wanted to build a set. I chose the 1951 Topps Red Back set because it was small and relatively cheap. I made it about 30 cards into when my jerky little brother decided to hide them and to this day I have no clue where they are and he claims to "not remember doing it". So annoying. Then I tried a 1953 Bowman B/W set for the same reason but quickly got bored because I think there is only 1 HOFer in the whole set.

When I was about 15 my dad took me to a show at the White Plains Center which was where I discovered pre-war cards. I instantly fell in love with the artwork, the players, the lore of the cards, and the fact that they were so old. I loved to think about all the people who owned the card before me and how funny it was that this 1887 Buchner ended up in my grubby 15 year old hands 115 years later. So from about 15 on I've only been interested in cards from 1887-1935.

Now I've bgun trying to limit my focus. I'd like to put together a Diamond Stars set because I love the design and the players included. I also love Turkey Reds, even though I only have one, American Caramels, 19th century cards, and trying to collect at least 1 card of every top tier HOFer.

I guess in the end my collection is still as unfocused as it has always been.