View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Curt

45 here. I collected as a kid from 1978 to about 1988 or so. I left for the Navy and took maybe 5 years off, but rediscovered cards around 1993. I missed the bulk of the junk era thankfully. I filled in some of the holes early on (sets, cheap boxes, singles), then discovered ebay. Gathered a lot of vintage stuff I previously couldn't find or afford and focused on what interested me (Dodger cards, oddball singles/sets, Steve Garvey items) over the next 10+ years. i got sucked into the 90s inserts and then to some extent the GU stuff early on, but never could stomach buying $60-80 boxes and not getting anything worth while, so i stopped buying packs and boxes around 2000.

I do grab certified autograph cards now, but mostly players who played in the 80s and back. I will grab certain newer Dodger cards that catch my eye or the occasional impulse buy, but for the most part I buy older stuff. Steve Garvey is the primary exception. I buy anything new that is issued.

Growing up and discovering baseball in the late 70s/early 80s, this is what I knew, so those players and those who came before them (I was also into baseball history early on) are who I tend to favor over any of the new players today. Getting a new Rod Carew or Al Oliver card would excite me more than an Ichiro or Pujols card.