View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't want to get into a war of semantics when the intricate details aren't really making or breaking anything. My point was the supreme court sets rules public schools and colleges have to follow, and one of those rules is Title IX in its current form and another is Tinker v Des Moines. I brought up Title IX only to demonstrate that public school policy applies to all aspects of the public school system, sports included.
Actually, the semantics do apply here. Title IX, as stated above, was a federal law prior to the Supreme Court rulings. Therefore, the law was upheld/adjusted accordingly.

In the same sense, while Tinker v. Des Moines has been ruled on by the Supreme Court, it doesn't specifically mention sports and, if it ever got that far, could be ruled upon again to adjust for any situations such as this. Obviously it's a case (not a law; the 1st Amendment is the law), but it can still be adjusted.

That is what we are saying. Yes, the Supreme Court made a ruling, but it is also up for interpretation, and could be ruled upon again to specifically include or exclude sports.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame

Last edited by KMayUSA6060; 10-02-2017 at 05:06 PM.