Thread: Holy Grail?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Default Holy Grail?

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

Wagner was a great player -- no doubt about it. But ---- Cobb was arguably the greatest. Cobb is also more reknown worldwide. In my humble opinion, the Cobb with Cobb back is more desirable than the T206 Wagner -- great card Hal! My intention with this thread was to get ideas on what cards could supplant the Wagner as the hobbies most desirable. That card would have to be rare, old, and of a legend.

The T206 Wagner has all that going for it, and it is from a widely collected set( a big plus). The t206 Cobb with Cobb back would have to essentially become more than a variation(I believe had it been a different pose from his "regular" t206's it would already be the top card)to surplant the Wagner. Gradually this is happening as more and more of us are paying attention to backs. This makes the T206 master set a monster for the ages.

I believe there is no hope for cards of Nap Lajoie or Lindy Linstrom or Homerun Baker of ever taking top spot. A card from a less popular issue would have to be a card of a Cobb or Ruth(eg the 1914 Baltimore)to receive the honor.

Candidates for the position of MVC (most valuable card)
1914 Baltimore Ruth
1914 CJ Christy Mathewson
T206 Cobb with Cobb back

Any others?