Thread: October Pickups
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 02:21 PM

Default regarding Dick Allen

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago. When Dick came to us in 1972, we were not prepared for how good he quickly showed himself to be. He was kinda eccentric, but his play with the Sox won us over. Us White Sox fans adored him, and he ate it up and just kept up the great play all year. Inside the park home runs, hustle, and so on! The Chicago press were careful with him, as were the Sox announcers. Manager Chuck Tanner was perfect for Dick, and he just exploded out of a dull stretch that had plagued him for several years. It was beautiful. The lady organist played a bar from "Jesus Christ Superstar" when he would come to bat. The fans belted out their appreciation for Dick. He was happy, very happy.

Which led, in turn, to the flat out finest item ever done of Dick. I mean, for visual appeal, there is nothing close to this Dick Allen collectible. White Sox management had Fan Appreciation Nights once in a while, and they would hand out a quality sticker of one of the top players. Lo and behold, at some point in 72-73 they did one of Dick Allen. Shot from the waist up in his home uniform, he's smiling with a genuine "I love it here and I'm loved here" facial expression. I mean to tell you, he just glows. I was able to get one late in the 72 season at Comiskey Park and would like SGC to grade it for me. Wouldn't trade it for a GEM MINT anything of Dick. I think it will grade pretty high, as I've kept it undisturbed in a baggie for all these years.

As you know, the love affair with Mr. Allen eventually vanished when he deserted the team. Maybe the Sox should have employed a good psychiatrist and moreover, Mr. Ed. With his penchant love for horses, Ed could have told Dick to "just cool it" and helped him relax and get on with the show. I know this is just nonsense, but most Chicagoans felt bad how it ended. Be that as it may, 1972 was the year of Dick Allen. He will never, ever be forgotten, Hall of Fame or no.

---Just my nickel-pack's worth. --Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 10-04-2014 at 04:47 PM.