View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 05:37 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Bowman in a last ditch effort tried to tie it's product to new technology. Color TV sets began selling in 1954. But the marketing ploy was ahead of it's time. Very few had color TVs in 1955. I think that even by 1957 the numbers were still below 200,000
If I recall the history, color sets were available in the mid-50's, but it was a good decade if not later before most shows began to be broadcast that way (Andy Griffith was late '60s before it was shot in color).

It may have been a last ditch effort for Bowman, but I've always loved these cards and the theme. Also you can get most stars and HOFers at a bargain in comparison to other 1950's sets. Anyone want to guess what a '55 Topps Mantle would go for if they had made one? A lower-grade '55 Bowman Mantle can still be had for a couple hundred bucks in most cases. And what's better than a 24 year-old Willie Mays fresh off of his first MVP season and "the catch" the previous October? I was thrilled to be able to pick this one-up. Facing facts anymore that if I want to wait to spend the type of money required for really "nice" cards that I want from this era (PSA 6 or above) that it's just really going to take a long time. That being said, I'm happy to pickup lower grade cards from more affordable sets for bargains. '58 Topps is another. No love for '58s in comparison to '55 - '57 Topps. But they are colorful cards and the set is packed full of stars.

I digress...let's hear it for the '55 Bowman TV sets!

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-21-2015 at 05:39 PM.