View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 02:20 PM

Kind of on a tangent, but keeping to the title of this post: I wonder what the values of autographs will be in the future, too.

Now, I know Ruth, Mantle, Cobb, Clemente, etc etc etc will hold, but what about non-Hall of Fame players who died early/are tough autographs, etc. It seems that collectors of those players are not really in their 20s or 30s, with a few exceptions I know of.

When collectors of those players are ready to sell or pass away, I am not sure that there is a younger kid out there who will want to buy a Wilcy Moore (may be a bad example since he was a '27 Yankee, but you catch my drift). It seems that the "younger generation" or autograph collectors are interested in mainly current players and entertainers.

The market is so diluted by 3x5s now, it is adding to the fact that the supply out equals the demand. I know I am somewhat guilty of contributing to that since I purchased a large chunk of inventory from the MacAlister collections. I was getting upwards of $75 on Duffy Lewis signed 3x5s, but 100+ index cards later, I was lucky to get $10.