View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Scott S

Thought it might be neat to post a story and a pic. Back in 2012, the Red Sox had some big celebrations around the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park. They sent to season ticket holders (me included) a bunch of items around the anniversary, including this 8x10 picture of various Red Sox great players.

In the years since, I've brought the picture with me when I've had the chance to get it signed by someone in the picture. It's not an obsession, I've never paid for anyone to sign (which is why I don't have the big names on here), but would like to get as many as I can when possible.

While at a road race a couple of weeks ago (my wife was running, not me), I recognized 1967 AL Cy Young winner Jim Lonborg standing a few feet away from me in the crowd of spectators. I said hello, and we started chatting for a bit. After a while, I joked that I needed to bump into him again sometime, and told him about this picture.

Lonborg was ever gracious, got a slip of paper, wrote down his home address and told me to mail it to him, and he would sign it and get it right back to me. Lo and behold, I sent it and it came right back, all in under a week.

Might need to see about how I can add a few more signatures to this in the near future now! Just thought it was worth sharing a story of a generous offer from a former player....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sox team pic 1 lo.jpg (76.7 KB, 579 views)

Last edited by scooter729; 08-08-2019 at 09:12 AM.