View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default thread

going terribly Wong.....
The success of understanding most auction descriptions can be evaluated by dividing the AH's verbiage obfuscation principle (VOP) by one's probability of misinterpreting it - the more one relies on the former the greater the chance of the later. To get to what someone actually means I think rather than supposition and interpretation - looking at the cards in question or posing your concerns to REA would bear riper fruit. I've always received a prompt and meaningful reply.
I have seen a fair number of instances where cards are short and yet even with a high powered occular device I can find no signs of trimming - noting even wear/signs of use. I chalk that up to production inconsistancies - what other choice do I have? That said I would tend to shy away from a card that was short unless there were few examples to be had.
Early collectors trimmed trade cards and inserts to display in scrap books or ledgers. Later collectors often trimmed cards to fit in binders. More recently with the price escallations people are unfortunately trimming to enhance their bottom line. As said earlier in the thread it's unlikely that the cards were only from the original collector pulling them from packs in 1910's. Given that - any large accumulation of the cards would likely have a percentage of altered cards - the more recent the collection - the greater the likelyhood.