View Single Post
Old 04-27-2002, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Default Wow. The incredible disparity of SCD

Posted By: Bob Lemke

I certainly don't take offense when knowledgeable people express their opinions. I'm not even personally involved with SCD Authentic except to render an occasional opinion when asked or historical perspective. What makes this "Find" special and newsworthy is simply the fact that someone brought it to our attention. I've never even heard of the other couple of finds mentioned in this thread. Certainly if for personal (i.e., tax) reasons a person chooses not to contact the hobby media about a find, that's their business. As for the recent Mint Xpress eBay sale being the lower-end of the Find, not true. It is a fairly representative sample. Similar cards will be in the next Mint Xpress auction, and then in the third auction in SCD. Naturally, most of the "best" cards are going to be in the last auction, the EX+ Magie, for instance. There are still plenty of collector-grade Hall of Famers to be seen, green-background Cobb, SCD 8 McGraw (finger), etc. I can tell you there are very few cards in total which received a NM 7 and only one or two which made NM/MT 8. I seriously doubt that any other Find of T206 has cards which would overall grade consistently higher than these, at least if SCD graded them. It is my considered opinion that most of these cards went directly from the pack to the proverbial cigar box. They were handled little, if at all. Every fault and flaw is factory-induced, not withstanding the occasional corner bump. And I reiterate . . . none of these cards has ever been trimmed or altered in any way after leaving the factory. I'd say the prices speak for themselves. If, indeed, these cards can be cracked out of SCD slabs and given higher grades by other companies, what does that say about the other companies' grading standards?