View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Mike Kendall

Default Pin Mystery Solved

If anyone out there won Hakes Auction Lot of Washington Senators pins, I have discovered one is a High School Basketball pin. The pins are from the Muchinsky collection and the pin in question reads "Washington Senators Are The One in '71 Robert A. Pastrick". In his book, Paul stated the identity of Pastrick and his association with the Senators is unknown. That is because it has nothing to do with the baseball Senators. Robert Pastrick was mayor of East Chicago for over 30 years and one of the High Schools in the city was the EC Washington Senators. They were undefeated State Basketball Champs in 1971. Apparently the Mayor wanted to capitalize on their success with the pin. As a side note this team featured Pete Trgovich who went on to play for John Wooden at UCLA, Ulysses "Junior" Bridgeman who later played at Louisville and in the NBA, and Tim Stoddard who played basketball at North Carolina State on the NCAA Championship team with David Thompson and later pitched for 6 teams in MLB, including the 1983 World Champion Orioles. He thus is the only man to win both an NCAA basketball championship and a World Series. He also pitched for the 1984 Cubs who made their first post season appearance since 1945.

I wouldn't be surprised if this pin showed up on eBay as a Washington Senators pin and I wanted to let everyone know the true origin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2313.jpg (68.7 KB, 575 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown