View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Default Adam, Hal, other attorneys, and everyone else - Quick Baseball Question Legal Related

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Ok, Reggiejackson.com has contacted me. They have informed me that Reggie, himself, looked at the picture and determined the autograph to be fake. I politely emailed them back and said if that was the case, please send me an official email from your company (Sports World handles Reggie sales) stating Reggie has deemed the autograph unauthentic so I can receive a refund from Sports Card Heaven as I did pay a nominal fee to have this ball signed. I also mentioned that I will have the ball authenticated by PSA/DNA as well since I want a 2nd opinion. I quickly received a very rude email back stating that even if PSA/DNA authenticates the ball, I will have my auction pulled again because "Reggie's determination is the supreme determination and will stand in a court of law". I have since emailed Sports World back informing them that the most basic rules of Evidence state that if a party in a legal action does not stipulate to the authenticity or legitimacy of an item (whether it be a letter, voice exemplar, or in this case, a signed baseball), the complaining party can offer 3rd party expert testimony stating the questioned item is indeed, legitimate. The authenticity then becomes a question for the trier of fact to decide.

I have yet to get a response - but basically they are screwing with the wrong person and their "legal" threats do not scare me. I think we can all plainly see what is going on here. I will be alerting the California BBB and AG tomorrow about my problems with this company. I just don't think they are being fair!