View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Jay Cee

+1 and well put Larry. I will add TeleTrade to your list of the 90s. I think I built half a Cracker Jack set from them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
This is exactly what is happening, and the internet and increase in the number and quality of auction houses is making it much easier to find even the toughest items you may desire. In the '90's, you were pretty much relegated to Sports Collector's Digest and hoping to be the first to call and reserve such an item, or going to tons of major regional shows, including the National, the Rosemont shows twice per year in Chicago, Strongsville in Ohio, the Pittsburgh show and a few others in the midwest. As truly rare and significant items are purchased and stowed away by these new, well-heeled collectors (and they are collectors, not speculators, by and large--this is not a bubble!), prices rise accordingly for the fewer and fewer examples available. Remember, the supply part of the supply/demand part of the equation relating to value IS THE AVAILABLE SUPPLY, NOT THE TOTAL NUMBER IN EXISTENCE! Many of the key pieces now being purchased will not surface again for many, many years.

All the more reason for trying to think outside of the box re rare, significant and in the best condition you can find or afford, and being on the cutting edge of demand re the future, rather than on the trailing edge of the present--the latter will require a much larger bankroll!

And that's my 75 cents worth,

Larry